Cocoa & Vanilla Bean Marshmallows


 Recently my life has been quite busy. I'm making power moves. Changing things up, hopefully for the better. There is so much that I want to learn, and so far, I've just been complacent. This year is reaching a close, unfortunately, but I want to make the most of it and push myself a little more!

I've decided to try out videography. Baking videos to be exact. It will be a good challenge for me. So far it's been a little difficult for me. But, I finally have all the equipment I need so there's no more putting it off!

Here's to hoping everything else I have planned pans out.


Cocoa & Vanilla Bean Marshmallows

Makes one 9x9" pan

3 packets                  Knox powdered gelatin
1 cup                        water, divided
2 cups                       sugar
1/2 cup                     corn syrup
1 tbsp                       vanilla
2 tsp                         vanilla bean paste
1/2 tsp                      salt
1 cup                        cocoa powder

In a large heatproof bowl, add 1/2 cup cold water. Sprinkle gelatin over and let it bloom for about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan add the rest of the water, sugar, and corn syrup. Bring to a boil, heat to soft ball stage, around 235 degrees. Remove from heat.
With a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, on medium to high speed, slowly pour the hot syrup down the side of the bowl with the gelatin. Whip for another 12 minutes on high until it has tripled in volume and is thick. Add the vanillas and salt, briefly mix until just combined.
Transfer into greased pan, and smooth out top. Let it set for at least 3 hours or overnight.
Once set, dust the top with cocoa powder so that it is less sticky. Turn out onto tray and cut into cubes, making sure to coat all the sides of the cubes in cocoa.
Store in airtight container, good for about 3-4 days. Enjoy!



Thanks for listening to this short rant about life.
You know what pairs really well with rants? Marshmallows. Just in case you didn't know that already.
I'm glad I tried coating them in cocoa, it was surprising delicious. The bitterness from the cocoa balanced out the sweetness from the marshmallow really well. Would definitely choose these over a normal marsmallow anyday.

Cheers,

Elanne Boake

Comments