Matcha & Sesame Écalirs


I've been to Japan three times now, and while I'm there I always see the most gorgeous desserts. Display cases packed with mousses and cakes and breads in bright colours with cute designs. It all looks so delicious, and yet I've never bought any.

I know. I'm a disgrace. I just can never decide on which one to get (plus I eat so much while I'm there already). Don't get me wrong, the prices are quite reasonable, I'm just a loser.

Therefore I decided to bring a couple of classic flavours I see there to my own house. Plus I put a little french twist on it. Matcha and Sesame Éclairs. The best of both culinary worlds. No excuses now.


What is not classic is the presentation of this dessert. Normally éclairs have a shiny glaze on top, but I was lacking meringue in my life so I decided to do that instead. I think it worked?
The recipe is so freaking easy too, and the flavours are to die for. If you have never had sesame before, it tastes almost like peanut butter, but a little more subtle. It is definitely in my top 10 of flavours.


Matcha & Sesame Éclairs

Makes about eight, 6" eclairs

Pâte à Choux

1/4 cup + 2 tbsp            milk
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp           butter
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp           water
1/2 tsp                           sugar
2/3 cup                         a.p flour
3 eggs

In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk, butter, water and sugar. Bring to a simmer and add the flour all at once. Stir continuously for about 5 minutes to dry out the dough, it should darken slightly. Quickly transfer to a heatproof bowl and add the eggs, one at a time beating thoroughly in between each addition.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with an Open Star tip. Pipe éclairs about 6" long, applying even pressure throughout. Use water on your fingertip to flatten out/ fix the ends so that there aren't any obscure points.
Bake for 35 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Allow to cool.



Matcha Pastry Cream

120g                      milk
1/2 tsp                   matcha powder
26g                        sugar
26g                        egg yolks
5g                          corn starch
1 tbsp                    butter


In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the milk and matcha powder. Bring to a simmer.
Meanwhile, in a small heatproof bowl whisk the egg yolk, sugar and cornstarch together until pale. Temper the egg mixture by adding a small amount of the hot milk while whisking constantly. Once tempered, add the egg mixture to the saucepan and cook over low heat until thickened, make sure to whisk constantly.
Once thickened, remove from heat, add the butter and stir to combine. Pass the mixture through a fine sieve to get rid of any lumps, such as cooked egg. Chill pastry cream for at least 2 hours.

After chilling, transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a round tip. Fill half of your eclairs. Set aside.


Sesame Pastry Cream 

120g                      milk
1/2 tsp                   crushed black sesame seeds
26g                        sugar
26g                        egg yolks
5g                          corn starch
1 tbsp                    butter


In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the milk and crushed sesame seeds. Bring to a simmer.
Meanwhile, in a small heatproof bowl whisk the egg yolk, sugar and cornstarch together until pale. Temper the egg mixture by adding a small amount of the hot milk while whisking constantly. Once tempered, add the egg mixture to the saucepan and cook over low heat until thickened, make sure to whisk constantly.
Once thickened, remove from heat, add the butter and stir to combine. Pass the mixture through a fine sieve to get rid of any lumps, such as cooked egg. Chill pastry cream for at least 2 hours.

After chilling, transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a round tip. Fill half of your eclairs. Set aside.


Meringue

1 cup                    sugar
1/3 cup                 water
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp                  cream of tartar


In a medium saucepan combine the sugar and water. Bring to a boil. Cook until soft ball stage, about 235 degrees. Meanwhile in a stainless steel bowl, free of any grease, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add the cooked sugar slowly, by pouring it down the side of the bowl. Beat until stiff and glossy.

Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a medium sized Petal tip. Pipe in a back and forth motion, applying even pressure along the top of the filled éclairs.
With a blowtorch, toast the meringue being careful not to burn it. Repeat until all éclairs are done.

Top with matcha powder or sesame seeds. Enjoy!


These were super fun to create, and I'm so pleased with how they turned out. I'm glad I got the chance to finally use my new blowtorch and candy thermometer that I got for Christmas! (I am so bad at using the blowtorch at my work, mine is so nice and small. Plus it's green)

If you don't get the chance to go to Japan and try the pastries there, I surely hope you try out this recipe. It's the second best thing. Right?

Elanne Boake

Comments