July 19, 2017

Golden Challah Bread


I believe that every family has at least one infamous food making attempt that didn't go as planned. At the time it seemed to be tragic, but now is carried out as an inside joke among family members. Whether it be a disastrously underdone turkey dinner, or the spillage of the most picturesque pie, don't worry we've all been there.
For my family it was challah.

Now, I don't quite remember it all that well, as I was a mere child. But what I do remember is that my dad and sister could never live it down. Let's just say it didn't go as well as they had hoped, in our very cold house.
I decided to take on the challenge of challah, as it seemed not that big of a deal to create and my Dad and sister must have just goofed somewhere in the process of making it.


However, I did not have that easy of a time. I encountered a huge mistake moments into making it. Reading the recipe book, I added my active dry yeast right into the flour mixture, and as soon as I did that I knew that it wasn't going to turn out.
A rookie mistake, that I have made many times before.
I personally think it is always best to add the yeast in the tepid water first to make sure the granules are completely dissolved and their maximum leavening powers are activated.

Soon after I decided to make another loaf, doing it with my preferred method. To be quite fair, both loaves did in fact turn into bread, and both were quite delicious. However, one had yeast granules in it, which is pretty gross.

Golden Challah Bread

Makes 1 loaf

4 + 2/3 cup          a.p flour
3 tsp                    salt
1 tbsp                  sugar
100 ml                tepid water
1/4 oz                  active dry yeast
3 eggs, beaten
3 tbsp                  honey
1/3 cup                melted butter

1 egg, beaten
Sesame seeds or poppy seeds (optional)

In a small bowl combine the tepid water and active dry yeast. Stir and allow to sit for about 5 minutes or until foamy.
In a seperate large bowl add the flour, salt and sugar, stir to combine. Add all wet ingredients and stir to combine. If too dry, add 1 tbsp of tepid water at a time.
Turn out onto counter and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic-y. Place back in bowl and cover, place in a warm place for 1 hour and 20 minutes to let rise. Once risen, punch the dough and allow to double for another 40 minutes.
Once doubled turn out onto clean surface and divide into 3 pieces. Roll them until long ropes, all the same length. Place the ropes on a lightly greased baking sheet. Pinch the ends together and braid. Once braided, pinch the other set of ends together and place in a warm place to let rise for a third time, about 25 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Once risen for the final time, lightly brush with beaten egg and sprinkle of seeds of your choice. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Turn oven temp down to 375 degrees and bake for another 30 minutes until golden.
Allow the loaf to cool. Best eaten within 4 days of being made. Enjoy!


So what is the lesson here? Don't listen to recipe books. I would say, to always try again. Who knows, you might just succeed. Or at least, end up with a lot ....of challah.

Elanne Boake


No comments:

Post a Comment