December 19, 2013

Paleo Gingerbread Ice Cream




I'm not one to go crazy on the festive decorations during the Christmas season. I find that it has become too tacky and commercial. While I enjoy putting up a tree and some occasional sparkly lights, there are just too many strange things about Christmas I find unnecessary.

And I am definitely not one to let this cheap holiday spirit get transferred over to my food. Which is why you will probably never see me make Santa cookies or little reindeer cupcakes, because I'm just not into that kind of stuff. Proceeding, in order to keep things real, but still mildly festive, I have made Paleo Gingerbread Ice Cream. All natural, but still tastes exactly like gingerbread! Make sure you freeze your ice cream maker ahead of time!


Paleo Gingerbread Ice Cream

1 1/2 cups                   organic whipping cream
1 1/2 cups                   milk
One 3"                        fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
6 egg yolks
1/4 cup                       coconut sugar
1/4 cup                       raw cane sugar
1/4 cup                       molasses
2 tsp                           ginger
2 tsp                           cinnamon
1/2 tsp                        nutmeg
1/2 tsp                        cloves
1/4 tsp                        mace
pinch                          cardamom
1/4 tsp                         salt
1 tsp                            vanilla

In a medium saucepan, combine the whipping cream, milk and chopped ginger. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and set aside to infuse for half an hour. Once infused, strain through sieve and transfer into the same saucepan, then bring to a simmer. Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks, sugars, molasses and spices (excluding vanilla) together in a heatproof bowl. Slowly pour the warm cream and milk mixture over the egg mixture while whisking constantly. Pour back into the same saucepan and set over medium low heat. Constantly stir the mixture with a silicon spatula and wait, approximately 10 minutes, or until it reaches 175 degrees F. then remove from heat and strain custard through fine sieve into a heat proof bowl. Add the vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Transfer mixrure to your ice cream making machine and let it mix of about 25 minutes. Pour into airtight container and freeze until firm. Enjoy!


My absolute favorite thing about this recipe is that it didn't go rock hard once I put it in the freezer. Yes, it stayed soft and scoop-able! Hooray! Another thing I liked is the spice that comes with the ice cream, it tastes so much like gingerbread and is so delicious. I reccomend this recipe 100% if you want to impress your guests this season with real taste and festive holiday cheer.

Elanne Boake

1 comment:

  1. I'm ALL about Christmas, but I understand those who want things a bit more low-key :) This ice cream looks amazing - I can't believe it's paleo!

    ReplyDelete