February 23, 2013

Honey Madeleines


 
Lately, it's been hard for me to set my mind on things I want to bake. Sometimes I have these really great ideas, but they don't always pan out, either because I don't have the ingredients or the time. Today was a little of both. I had really hoped to do something different. I wanted to make some hazelnut madeleines, but alas, I didn't have an ingredient, I had no time to go to the store and if I didn't make it today the wouldn't have enough time in the fridge. So I had to scrap that idea.
But, luckily for you I still got around to making some madeleines anyway. Honey Madeleines, they are sweet yet mild and a tad sticky. The signature look for madeleines is the shell mold they are baked into. Here's some history: some say the madeleine was named after a famous pastry chef, Madeleine Paulmier in the 19th century. Fun facts! So get your sleeves rolled up and put on an apron because it's baking time.

Honey Madeleines

Makes 16 Madeleines


2 eggs
3/4 tsp           vanilla
1/8 tsp            salt
1/3 cup           sugar
1/2 cup           a.p flour
1+1/2 tsp        honey
1/4 cup           melted butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter and flour the molds. Melt butter and let it cool. Beat eggs, vanilla and salt until frothy and light. while continually beating, gradually add sugar bit by bit. When finished the mixture should fall in ribbons from where your beater left off. Approximately 5-10 minutes. Sift flour into egg mixture 1/3 cup at a time, fold together lightly. Next pour in butter and honey. Fold quickly but gently. use either a pastry bag or spoon to fill the molds. Bake for 12-15 minutes.Test they are done by poking them with a toothpick, if it comes out clean they are done if not keep on baking. Enjoy!



I am quite sure you will have enough time on your hands for this recipe. All together including the baking it only took half an hour. I definitely recommend making these for a quick breakfast or a snack in your kid's lunch. They are so good with just that right amount of sweetness. They are adictive. Go ahead, try them out, I bet I won't be wrong!

Elanne Boake

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, they are even better when slightly warm...

      Delete
  2. Your madeleines look so gorgeous, bet they taste great too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you blueberrykitchen!

    ReplyDelete