December 9, 2012

Spiced Carrot Muffins



  Sometimes inspiration comes to you, sometimes it doesn't. This weekend, I didn't feel like making anything. You're kinda stuck between being too Christmas-y, or not being Christmas-y. It is too early to make elaborate Christmas cookies, and all of my ideas were, well, elaborate! I didn't know what to make. So, I went with not being Christmas-y at all and settled with Carrot Muffins.
Yes, I know what you're thinking. Christmas? Anything but Christmas. Fall, Spring, Summer, etc. I dunno about you, but Carrots, to me, don't speak Winter. Ah well, they are a perfect fix in the morning! A great snack too! The smell when they just come out of the oven makes you want to dig in!


Spiced Carrot Muffins

Makes 12 Muffins

1 + 3/4 cup                 a.p flour
1/2 cup                       sugar
1 + 1/2 tsp                  cinnamon
1/4 tsp                        ginger
1/4 tsp                        nutmeg
2 tsp                           baking powder
3/4 tsp                        baking soda
3/4 cup                       plain yogurt
1/4 cup                       salted butter
1 egg
2 cups                         peeled, shredded carrots
1/3 cup                       chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 12 standard muffin cups with paper liners, or grease with butter; set aside. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, spices, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together yogurt, butter, and egg. Make a well in the center of the dry
ingredients and add yogurt mixture. Stir until just combined. Mix in carrots and nuts. The mix will be very dry and stiff, don't worry! The carrots provide more than enough moistness. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake in a 375-degree oven for about 22 minutes. Transfer to a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!




Don't forget to make these Monday morning for a quick and easy breakfast!

Elanne Boake

6 comments:

  1. These smelled really good. They almost made me get out of bed on time! ...except I figured I couldn't eat them anyway. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to use some of that huge basket of carrots that were harvested from the garden that you and dad planted. And the muffins don't really taste overpoweringly of carrots! I liked this recipe as it uses yogurt and butter instead of the usual "oil" for moisture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were really moist and delicious!

      Delete
  3. I would bet we could adapt them to be gluten free Alex...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVE carrot muffins. By far my favourite type of muffin.

    ReplyDelete