November 4, 2012

Wedding Shower Blue Flower Cupcakes




Is it OK to like store bought desserts or pre-made stuff? I mean, ya you can recreate it, but it never does taste the same! Pillsbury Dough Boy cookies for example, I've always loved those, and no other cookie can compare to them. Or cake mix, an easy fix! Just add wet ingredients and your good to go!
Speaking of good to go, I bought some already made Wilton Gumpaste the other day at Michaels, and it was excellent! Really easy, compared to the marshmallow fondant I tried to make the other week.

I made these cute little light blue and navy flowers. Why? My friend's cousin was having a wedding shower, and my friend's mom wanted me to bake cupcakes for it. 
I was like, "Heck ya!" 
They specifically said white cupcakes with vanilla icing. They also wanted something on top too, so I suggested a flower. They wanted it in Navy blue. So, I went to work on Friday, colouring the Gumpaste and letting it dry overnight. The only thing that bugged me about the Gumpaste is that it drys too fast! You walk away for one second and it gets all crusty. I also couldn't get it to roll out really thin, is there a trick to that or something?
I think it's just me, but do you guys think this stuff tastes like Turkish delight?

Saturday I started to make the white cake. I looked all over the web for a perfect white cake recipe, then I can across Sweetapolita's. It looked and sounded great so I tried it out. Killer good. Really moist and fluffy, I think the secret (not so secret anymore) is the whipping cream. This recipe is adapted from Sweetapolita.

Fluffy White Cupcakes

Makes 80 Mini cupcakes

2-1/2 cups                sifted cake flour
1 tablespoon             baking powder
1/2 teaspoon             salt
1 cup                        whole milk, at room temperature
2 egg whites             at room temperature
1 egg                         at room temperature
1 teaspoon                vanilla 
1-1/2 cups                 sugar 
1/2 cup                     butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup                     whipping cream

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 4 mini cupcake pans. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a medium-sized bowl. Whisk together the milk, eggs and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until creamy. With the mixer still on medium speed, alternate additions of the flour mixture and milk-egg mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture beating after each addition until combined fully. Continue beating for another minute. In a seperate, small bowl beat whipping cream until soft peaks form (don't beat until stiff). Fold whipped cream into cake batter. Divide batter evenly among your cupcake liners and bake for 12 minutes. Carefully remove the cupcakes from the pan and let cool on wire racks. Enjoy!



On a completely unrelated note, have you noticed that I love using ribbon in my photo shoots? Like here, here, and here (also right here)? It just has a whimsical feeling to it that I love. What is your favorite food prop?

Elanne Boake

4 comments:

  1. Wow, those cupcakes look yummy! I've never tried gum paste before and I love ribbon too.. I just don't have any.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can lend you some ribbon! Tons at my house and conveniently always in the colour I need it. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so cute, and delicious I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were pretty good for white cake, I'm not a big fan of white or yellow cake, but these were exceptional!

    ReplyDelete